Friday, July 15, 2011

Kathleen Boeckman - Summer Fun



First, I browsed in Bridge for the photographs that I wanted to use, and opened them all in Photoshop. I then did some basic adjustments of each of the photos, using adjustment layers to adjust levels, exposure, and color balance as needed.

I then created a new, blank .psd file. I selected the image of the Grand Canyon using the rectangular marquee and used edit>copy / edit>paste to insert it into my working .psd file. I made selections from the other four photos I'd decided to use using the elliptical marquee tool and copied them into my master file.

I then used the custom shape tool and drew the first sun image. I scaled it to fit the image of the sand dunes, moved its layer below the sand dunes layer, selected the sand dunes layer and used layer>create clipping mask. I then linked the sand dunes layer to the sun image layer, so that I could move and scale the layers together.

I repeated these steps to create the sun photo image in the lower left corner of the master file.

I then added drop shadows to the four images surrounding the Grand Canyon image, and gave the Grand Canyon image a stroke border.

Finally, I added text. I tried to create a path to type on but wasn't able to get it to work. I ended up just creating the headline text and then making it more appealing by making the text a bright yellow and adding a drop shadow layer style, with the shadow color being a dark blue.

For the paragraph text, I used the same dark blue for the text color and then added a layer style of a bevel and emboss, with white for the highlight color and the headline text yellow color as the shadow color. My master document ended up being very large, so I had to then scale everything down, crop, make a copy and resize it before I was able to save for the web.

4 comments:

  1. This is my favorite for this assignment. The images are a very good representation of what you would see in the states listed. I like that the title is "fun in the sun" which goes well with the sun shapes used. I also like how she capitalized all the letters in the work fun to emphasize that word. I just think this one looks cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one has my vote. I enjoy the color scheme and the repetition. The blue background was a good choice to compliment the blue sky in the images and
    I love how the font and color choice of the text, "Fun in the Sun". The curves mimics the sun shapes and the yellow is a perfect choice to represent the sun as well. It looks very professional and I could really see this being used on a post card or a flyer for a summer camp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would vote for this one too. It works well from all vantage points. The words used, the colors that she chose, the sun shapes, and just the overall layout. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the use of pictures, text and shapes! Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.