Tuesday, June 7, 2011

02-1-Chickens


It was great seeing that Photoshop could take such a dull image and make it presentable.  I started off trying to open the .psd file in Camera Raw, but found that it wouldn’t do so.  I saved the image as a .jpg file, and then was able to open it up that way.  In Camera Raw, I used the White Balance tool and selected the white head of the chicken.  This didn’t give me the results I wanted, and ultimately ended up selecting the grey neck of the chicken instead.  I then went through making little changes to every option in Camera Raw, from Temperature to the Saturation settings.  I then opened the image into Photoshop.

Once in Photoshop, I used Levels to give me a broad range of color.  From there I used Auto Tone, followed up by using Curves and the Brightness/Contrast setting in a small adjustment.  I tried the Red Eye Remover tool, but found that not only did it change the eye to black, but it also changed the other red in the chicken to black also.  I then tried the Color Replacement tool, but it did absolutely nothing on the eye.  I eventually used the Clone Stamp tool to cover-up the red eye.  I also used the Clone Stamp tool for touching up the post above the chickens.  I used the Sponge tool to help add some saturation to the grey wall and post, I tried it on the chickens too, but it just didn’t look right.

That wraps it up, all in all, I think it looks much better than the original image.

2 comments:

  1. A tip.
    Im sure we will cover this, but here is something I learned in the past.

    If you need to open a psd image in camera raw, you should convert it to a tiff file instead of a jpg because a tiff file is lossless, whereas a jpg is lossy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing this out Jessica. Indeed, information is always lost when saving to jpg. File size is the big trade-off.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.