Sunday, June 26, 2011

Kathleen Boeckman - Before & After














The image on the left is my "before" photo; the one on the right is my "after."

The digital copy of this photograph came from a commercial scan of an old negative. It had been saved as a .jpg file.

I opened the .jpg in Photoshop and then saved it as a .psd file. I started by first creating a "levels" adjustment layer, and adjusting the "black point" and "white point" sliders to fit the histogram. I next decided that I wanted to increase the saturation and adjust the exposure of the background of the photo (the mountain). To do this, I used the magic wand to select the underexposed foreground of the photo. I used the "add to selection" and "subtract from selection" buttons from the options bar until I had all the dark foreground selected, and none of the light background. I then inverted the selection, so that the underexposed background portion was selected. I did edit>copy and edit>paste to duplicate this selection and move it to its own layer. Once I had it on its own layer, I used image>image adjustment>exposure and image>image adjustment>hue/saturation to adjust the exposure and increase the saturation. Once I was happy with the exposure and saturation of the background mountain, I created color balance and vibrance adjustment layers to further adjust the overall tone of the image. I finished by using filter>smart sharpen.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathleen, good job on your project, your “after” picture almost looks like a painting. By doing the adjustments that you did, it really brought out a lot more detail in the picture. I liked how you used the saturation on this, it really brought it to life. If I could make one suggestion, it would probably be to select the blue sky and clouds and to darken them up. I think it would make the blue sky and white clouds stand out more and add to the picture. Good job though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Thomas. This image is far better now after your corrections but I think the middle ground is a little to saturated in comparison to the sky. Bringing out the sky more would help to create a completely cohesive image.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.