Saturday, June 25, 2011

Kathleen Boeckman - "Time is Money"


I used four of the images provided for this assignment to make my composite photo: the clock, the coins, the twenty, and the invoice. First, I created a new, blank document and then dragged the four images into it from Windows Explorer. Then I selected the clock, inverted the selection, and erased its background. I changed the order of the images, with the invoice directly above the background, then the twenty, then the clock. I used the edit>free transform tool on all of these layers to rotate and resize the images as needed. I then selected various coins from the coin image, copied and pasted them onto a new layer above the clock. I used the edit>free transform command to resize the coins to cover the numerals on the clock. I selected the portion of the twenty that was visible, inverted the selection, and erased the background. Then I created a duplicate "twenty" layer to darken the appearance of the twenty, hid all the other layers and merged the "twenty" and "twenty copy" layers. Then I added a green color overlay (about 60% opacity) to the "twenty" layer. I added drop shadows to the coins to make them stand out a little from the clock, and added a larger drop shadow to the "clock" layer. I decided not to add text as I thought the image would be too busy with the addition.

2 comments:

  1. I like this image with the stretched clock and the coins, but the one critique I have of it is that everything is at the same angle and just makes me want to turn my head like a dog listening to a high pitched sound. I would put either the clock or the invoice at a slightly different angle to give this image a stronger impact.

    Overall, great use of merging layers and drop shadows. The clock looks great. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please excuse me, but I had to lol when I read the above comment because it was a cute description. I had to take a second look at the composition and do just that after reading it.

    I would be hard to re position the clock because it interferes with the message. The clock is in place of Jackson (is he the guy on the $20? I hope so or I sound like a fool.) Anyway, maybe doing away with the white corner in the bottom right would be beneficial. One thing that may help is to lower the opacity of the clock so some of the bill shows through and perhaps it wouldn't have so much angled direction.

    Perhaps reposition the invoice layer horizontally, and use a layer mask to blend it in with the others so that the words can still be read.
    I like the color overlay on the bill and the choice to cover only select number on the clock with the coins. And I suggest a little sharpening.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.