Tips for using Photoshop:
1. Always always always work on a copy, never the original. If you completely bork it, you can always just close it and go get a new copy.
2. Take better notes of what steps I take, and what settings I use. Especially for the filters, curves, and hue/saturation. Sometimes I spend a lot of time trying to recreate something awesome I did and then messed up.
3. Be patient, but also, be mindful that this is engrossing. Set an alarm to stand up and walk around occasionally, cuz otherwise your knees will scream!
4. Don't be afraid to experiment. There are a TON of different things you can do in this program. I feel like I've only barely scraped the top layer off. I look forward to going back thru the book at my leisure, and playing with different files using their tips. I'm also interested in possibly finding another book with more advanced tips.
5. Save often, but with separate names. I've learned to change the name as I go so that I can go back to previous incarnations. On a similar note, remember the history bar is RIGHT THERE and don't forget to use it.
6. Keyboard shortcuts. Keyboard shortcuts. Keyboard shortcuts. I have never had such a fine and acute love for CTL + c, CTL + v, and CTL + x. And my new favorite, CTL + z. <3
7. When experimenting, make layers so you don't screw up previous work.
8. If something is going horribly wrong, walk away. Come back with a fresh eye later and see what can be done to improve matters.
9. Practice! Practice! Practice! Just in the short time of this course I've gotten better at some of the tools. Looking back at what I thought was "good" I cringe. And I'm sure at this time next year, I'll look back to now and cringe. =D
10. Remember that there is more than one kind of selection tool, and that its easy to switch between them. Don't get stuck in one mode and forget that there may be an easier way.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.